Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hurricane Irene













According to the weatherman we were going to get hit hard by Hurricane Irene...and for us that meant loss of power(meaning no lights or water) and possible trees down. Don't have to worry about flooding cos the Mohawk River is about 600' below us. If the water rises that much we just don't have to worry, everything will be underwater! It was all scheduled to start after midnight Saturday night and be over by midday on Sunday. Yea, well, it started to rain about 2am Sunday and it did rain steady and hard. Jeff went out to check the garden and his tilling paths were allowing the rain to soak in. No flooded canals in our garden! It was his opinion that the storm had been 'overhyped'. Then about 10am the wind started to blow and the big oak trees around our house started to sway. The power started to go off and on. For awhile it looked bad...then it moved on. The garden took the most damage...pepper plants and the corn patch were knocked over. Onions and carrots were beaten flat...but the raddishes and lettuce were standing tall. And Jeff's tomato fences held! All the tomato plants in them were standing basiclly undamaged by the wind...the fruit hadn't even fallen off! Yesterday he hilled up the peppers and corn plants hoping they'll reestablish themselves. Everything else looked good.


I knitted during the worse of the storm...my usual activity for times like that. I have an 'end of summer' swap to get finished and luckly I found the skein of yarn I had wanted to use. It's a cotton/rayon blend from Amsterdam, NY, I think handdyed and probably hand spun from the texture. The colors are beautiful with purple and blues mixed with grays and golds. Just right for a scarf. So I sat there and knitted as the wind howled and the lights went off and on. It was a small skein, only 60 yrds, so I was able to finish the scarf about the time Jeff announced the 'worst' was over. Yesterday morning I looked at what I had done and found a large hole in the middle of the scarf where I had dropped a stitch and created another several rows later. Since it was suppose to be a slit scarf but the hole was in the wrong place so I ripped it out. Last night I tried again but I'm not satisfied with the results. Need to look for another pattern. Oh, well.


When I got to work yesterday Joanie from camp called to tell me some bad news. The storm was much worse up there and several trees had gone down in the park...including one thru a window in my camp. Good neighbors covered the window with plastic and Jeff and I will go up Thursday or Friday to replace it with plywood. The deductible for the camp's insurance is $1000 and this was a tripletrack window...no where near that amount. Oh, well, again. Photos to follow!


If that's the worse of Hurricane Irene I don't have anything to complain about, now do I?








No comments: