Thursday, June 16, 2011

More Garden Tales

I had the day off (ha!) yesterday so we worked all afternoon in the garden/yard. I finally got the entire yard mowed once...some parts twice! I also pushed back the weed line in a couple of places...finding a few 'snow on the mountain' survivors that my mom had planted as a border over 50 years ago! I cleared around them and with a little luck and TLC they may grow back. Jeff had trimmed up some of the pine trees last year and those sections of the yard look very 'Adirondack'. I'm still picking up sticks as I mow around the yard and there are stick piles in several locations that Jeff has promised to break/chop into 12" pieces to use in the fire pit. Of course, the fire pit is still only a pile of rocks but once the garden is set, we may get to the fire pit!

The Garden...it deserves a capital G...is looking Great! (Another capital G!) Jeff tills between the rows and hoes between the plants once or twice a week. He's still breaking sod but he's running out of yard so the garden may have reached it's final size...about 35 x 35'. Just about everything has taken/come up and some even have started to blossom. Over the weekend Jeff had cut some poplar saplings and made a trellis for cucumbers and beans. If it works we'll have a 6' wall of green! His friend Frank stopped in last night and among his sterling words of wisdom re the garden, announced that we have potato bug. So Jeff went online and found a homebrew to combat them. Tonight's activity will be spraying the garden. Last night I finished covering the bottom of the old dog's wading pool with rocks and started...well, I started but Jeff actually did it...taking apart last year's raised garden bed and moving the dirt to the pool. I want to get a bag of enriched potting soil to put in it and then start an herb garden. Jeff was talking about emaking a patio area facing the garden under the trees. There always seem to be a breeze there and it's close to the house...a really nice spot.

I decided to watch the hockey game (the only time I actually roote for Boston) and knit after we finally put the hoe and rake away, but I found I couldn't count well enough to work on the lace sun hat I'm trying to do for a swap so after the game was over and the Boston guys took turns skating around the rink with Lord Stanley's cup (what if one of them had dropped it??? I said I was tired!) I gave up and went to bed. Maybe tonight I can knit while Jeff sprays the potatoe bugs.

No comments: