Friday, August 24, 2018

Veggies, Knitting and Counry Living

   One of the joys of living in the country is having a garden.  Well, these past 2 years we haven't been very 'joyful' because Jeff's had trouble with his back and wasn't able to work a garden.  Last year we suffered without fresh veggies but this year we've been blessed.  My old college friend, Maggie Schanz, and her husband have been giving us veggies!  Today I found a of couple bags on the doorknob!!  
Jeff had used last week's veggies in the stew he made in the crockpot and I used the zucchini last night when we had pasta for supper.  Nothing like breaded and fried zucchini with a dish of pasta!  (Jeff finished the pasta and meat overnight and I had the zucchini for lunch today.)  Actually, I had made braciole...stuffed beefsteak...for only the 2nd time and it turned out even better than the 1st.  I can honestly say it tasted better than or at least as good as my mom's!  Jeff really liked it, anyway.  
   
I got fancy and strung up Horst's garlic.  It will stay firm longer than way and it looks good hanging in the kitchen window.
  Oh, Maggie had included a zucchini bread but it didn't last long enough to have it's picture taken.  It did taste good!
   I've been getting ready to work in the shop tomorrow...not that I've been selling much but that I've been trying to come up with some new things and I've been finishing some WIP that have been hanging around for awhile.  I've got a ladies cotton 
hat ready to go to the shop
and a pair of ladies socks that have to be mailed to my cousin in Wisconsin.
I've started a lacey shawl that's coming along nicely.  The first half is just stockinette and goes rather quickly.  The bottom will be lace and that may take a bit longer.  I'm doing it on a circular US7 with a gray wool baby yarn that I got in my Yarn Pal package from Australia.  It working up very nicely and is so soft.  The pattern called for sock yarn and smaller needles so my shawl will be a little bit bigger but I rather like it.  Have to wait for the photos.  I also volunteered for and was chosen to do a test knit for The Stitch Angels to benefit US veterans, active duty, and wounded warriors.  The pattern I'm testing will be available for purchase on Ravelry in early September.  It's the first time I've ever done anything like this so a few prayers and good wishes for nimble fingers and a clear mind couldn't hurt.  And now it's time to get back to the baseball hat that I have to replace tomorrow.  At least something is selling!

No comments: