Monday, June 18, 2018

You win some...

   It's been a struggle to housetrain Zoey, our 13-month old Beagle.  From the beginning when there was a path of pee pads thru the house it was not a sure thing that she would use them.  Let's just say her aim was off.  She would have her front paws on them but the important rear end wasn't.  Or she would run over the pad and her 'deposit' would run off onto the floor.  She'd even have one front and 1 rear paw on the pad but not quite enough of the middle over the pad.  It was funny...in the beginning...for awhile...a short while...a very short while.  As the scent in our house changed to 'Mr. Clean', I think Zoey became even more confused.  If it smelled like 'Mr. Clean' it must be alright to go there, became her motto.  Since her 1st birthday on May 27th, the number of pee pads has shrunk until there are none and for the last 2 weeks, she's actually been making it to the door...some of the time.  But there have been setbacks.
   Yesterday was a very traumatic day for Zoey.  Jeff was changing the transmission belt on the Cub
Cadet in the back yard and Zoey was watching him from the parlor window.  And conveying her dismay that she was not out there helping.  Loudly.  When he got the machine back in working order, he cut the grass and Zoey ran from room to room barking and baying, following his progress around the house.  By the time he finished and came back in the house, Zoey was hysterical.  (Ever seen/heard a hysterical beagle?  Trust me, you don't want to.)  It took most of the evening and many treats for Zoey to calm down.  And many 'oops' in the parlor and my room.  (I think she was blaming me for not letting her out.)  Jeff just talked to her when I announced another 'oops' (no discipline) and even I couldn't be too angry at her  (at him, maybe).  I just cleaned it up again and again.  

   This morning around 6am,  Zoey woke me and I was shocked...there weren't any puddles or piles anywhere in the house.  Jeff had take both dogs out before he went to bed as usual and she stayed with him most of the night.  I let the dogs out...Fanny was back in about 10 minutes, Zoey stayed out about 1/2 hour...gave them some of their morning biscuits and we all went back to bed.  Around 9:30 we all got up...the aroma of coffee had finally got to Jeff...and the dogs went back out.  Still no puddles or piles in the house.  Jeff asked if I had cleaned up after Zoey this morning and I said no.  That was a quick trip for both of them because they wanted the rest of their breakfast.  Zoey just got Jeff to let her out again for another quickie and I'm pleased and surprised to say, still no puddles or piles.  Why?  Who knows.  Did the bout of hysteria trigger something deep in Zoey's brain?  ??  I'll take any and all steps forward I can get.   Will it last?  One can only hope.

No comments: