Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hospital Trips, Swap Buddies and All

      Just back from a trip to the hospital in Cooperstown to see my mom.  She's somewhat better but a long way from the semi-independent woman she was a short...no, make that a long 3 weeks ago.  Even at 98 she was still knitting!  Now she can not feed herself or even direct a straw into her mouth.  When being transferred from chair to bed all she does is scream and go limp.  The worst part is that there isn't a medical reason for this.  The case manager is suggesting long-term care (skilled nursing home) and Mom may be moved tomorrow or Thursday back to one in Herkimer.  At least that's only 5 minutes away and not 45 minutes like the hospital.  
     Some of the bright spots in this ordeal have been the swap packages I've found waiting for me at home.  I've received some lovely things...several sets of stitch markers to add to my collection  (you should see the purple mitten bead ones!) as well as yarn, and project and notion bags. The socks I got in the St Nicholas' Day swap have gotten rave reviews from all who've seen them...and made me really understand how comfortable wool socks are!  I've lost track of which swaps I posted thanks you's on, but I appreciate them all.   I finally got all my packages mailed and really appreciate the patience I've gotten from the swap mods.  
     Jeff's been my foundation through all of this and without him I couldn't have made it this far.  Tomorrow we'll be working on rebuilding the woodpile...he cuts, I stack and the dog runs around like crazy.  We're planning to host his sister and a cousin of mine for dinner on Christmas.  

1 comment:

danielle said...

when you get a chance - I would love to see purple mitten markers!