Monday, July 18, 2011

Mystery Solved!






The mystery plant...in the corn...has been identified...at least by me. I think it's a dwarf sunflower. Anyway, it has a yellow sunflower-type flower. Must be a gift from a passing bird or squirrel. (Mom thinks it may be a zinnia not a sunflower. Jeff's voting NO to sunflower. Anyone else want to guess?)












Jeff says I've made the garden look bigger than it is by photographing it that way but I think it's really that big! These tomatoes are chest high on me. He's been mixing up a brew to kill/discourage bugs that seem to work. In fact, the more garlic that's in it the less mosquitoes we seem to have.












I can't wait until the tomatoes start to ripen! Jeff has picked hot peppers and I've picked some leaf lettuce so we're starting to enjoy the fruits of his labor. He's predicting all the tomatoes will ripen at about the same time and we'll be overwhelmed with canning them. We'll see. I'd like to try canning some peppers, potatoes and onions together. We used the big pressure canner this weekend and canned some chicken...comes out much better than the cans of chicken you can get in the supermarket!












It's pouring right now...guess we won't have to water the garden tonight. But, he did spray for bugs last night. It always rains the next day after he sprays.

No comments: