Monday, September 21, 2020

Apple Season

    Apple Season came to a successful conclusion this week when we picked all the apples on our tree filling a small basket. The apples were not as large as I would


have liked but there were a lot of them!  So far I've made 2 pies and there are enough apples left for some turnovers.  Jeff says as soon as we have a hard frost he'll prune the tree and next year it will be a lot easier to pick the apples.  The smaller size of the apples was because we didn't spray the tree when it was in blossom and nearly every blossom produced fruit.  Next spring we will spray and hopefully we'll get bigger apples!!  Still, the pies were very good and didn't last long!
   My mom gave up making her own crust when a friend, Paula, at camp told her about Pillsbury All-Ready Crusts after my dad raved about Paula's apple pie.    I've used Pillsbury and store brand crusts and this year I tried both Hannaford and Walmart's crusts and crossed Walmart's off my list.  Still the pies didn't long.  I'd like to try puff pastry and make some turn-overs.

No comments: