Monday, April 14, 2014

April...Spring At Last!

   Spring has finally arrived with it's many chores and jobs.  The floor of the garage (covered with water from the compost fire extinguish that froze across the width and length of the garage 4-6" thick) finally thawed and things could be picked up, so yesterday Jeff decided to put the skin on the greenhouse.  He's been talking about it for a month but the roll of plastic was stuck in the ice.  Our greenhouse has a frame of conduit with pvc pipe and 1x2's screwed in for re-enforcement. Jeff split some foam pool noodles and taped them over the conduit to keep the plastic from tearing on the screws.  Then he hoisted the folded plastic over the frame and we un-folded it and spread it out.  There was a gentle breeze and the plastic unfolded was 20x24' so there were a couple of times I thought we were going to become airborne with a giant parachute bellowing in the wind!  It took some time but we finally got the plastic open and the greenhouse covered.  Jeff wrapped one end like a package in wrapping paper and he stapled it in place.  The other end needs a door and both ends will get ventilation openings before he puts plants in.  It looks pretty good...just like a greenhouse should!
   The shop opened in Cooperstown on Thursday and we had our annual meeting Wednesday night, but 
since Wednesday was my birthday* I decided to skip the meeting.  I took my stock down on Tuesday and my shelves look pretty full.  I did more of theose cotton lace tank tops in adult sizes that sold well last year and ladies cotton socks with lace cuffs as well as the usual baby sweaters, hats and socks.  I also did a couple of cowl scarves that I'll take down with me Tuesday when I work.  My next work day is in early May so I can do some other things I've been thinking about to take down then. The shop has a Facebook page (Cooper Country Crafts) with plenty of photos. We're open 7 days a week 10am-5pm, so if you're going to be like Joe Torres and go to Cooperstown this summer, stop it.
   By the way, my tests showed nothing (I told you so) but I still have to see a neurologist. After the EEG I felt as if I had let a teenager put styling gel in my hair...it was really sculptured!

*I have been complaining all winter about how cold I am.  Blame it on the rat poison(Warfarin) I have to take to keep my blood clotting ratio in range coz I sit next to the woodstove and wear wool socks...even to bed!  I have 2 thermal blankets, a comforter and an old heavy blanket of Jeff's on the bed and the dog...and Jeff...to snuggle with without any relief. Jeff's been telling me to get one of those emergency blankets that reflect your body heat back to you but I never thought they worked.  For my birthday he gave me an inexpensive one from Walmart.  He suggested I put it next to the top sheet under the blankets and tuck it in across the bottom of the bed.  It spread out across the bed (a queen size) and about half way up to the head.  I put the rest of the blankets back in place but didn't have much faith in the thin sheet of foil to keep me warm.  Boy, was I surprised!  That was the 1st night in a long time that I didn't wake up shivering...or have to check my feet to see if my wool socks had slipped off!  It works!  I think I'm going to get a couple more of those things...one for the car in case of emergency and another one just to have on hand in case Fanny splits the foil.  The only thing I don't care for is the crackling noise it makes when one of us rolls over or is restless but it's a small price to pay to be warm!

No comments: