Saturday, October 26, 2013

Life Goes On

I always dislike the end of October and this year is no different.  It means t-shirts and shorts have to be put away until next May...or June...or July, and I have to find socks that don't bind my right ankle.  (You'd think that after nearly 5 years, my right ankle would be shrunk back to normal instead of still swollen at the double breaks?) I'm always cold (thanks to the Warfarin I have to take to keep my blood thin enough to flow thru the mechanical valve in my heart) and my fingers ache (that might be due to the amount of knitting I've been doing.)  The yards are covered with leaves that are demanding to be raked up (or is that Jeff demanding I help rake leaves for the compost bin?). Add in the fact that the Forester is still at the body shop so we're behind in hauling wood and our great idea of renting a leaf vacuum is on hold, too, coz the Forester has the hitch for the utility trailer. 

Jeff and I both caught colds when my mom was in the hospital at the end and while I manged to keep mine to just sniffles and a sore throat, Jeff's turned into a full-blown head cold...which he shared with me this last week. Now it's been my turn to be sneezing, coughing and blowing my nose.  I've spent the day feeding the woodstove, knitting and watching TV. (Not a bad way to spend a cold, windy day but the woodpile on the porch is getting low.)

Monday I worked in the shop in Cooperstown and restocked my shelves with another Little Girl Chic gray and pink sweater set and a couple of vintage 50's sets in navy and pink...for a girl, and navy and tan...for a boy. And a couple of roll brim hats with knitted flowers.  (I came home to find that Fanny the Dog had eaten one of my last 2 pairs of Crocs, and the remote control for the TV/cable box.)  I got a skein of pink yarn to do another Pretty in Pink set but haven't found the mojo to start it.  Instead, I finished socks for Jeff and me and dug a couple of more skeins out of the box to make us both more. (Sock yarn doesn't really count as part of a stash coz it's kept in it's own box.)  I may even use up some leftover yarn to make baby socks.  

Jeff and I picked most of the garden this week.  There's baskets of zucchini, green beans, peppers, cabbage and beets waiting for Jeff to start canning again.  He's still got to dig the sweet potatoes, carrots and more root veggies that I care to know about. Now if we can only get tomatoes to ripen....

No comments: