Wednesday, September 25, 2013

September's Almost Over

I can't believe September is almost over!  It's gone by so fast!!  Most of the month I've been busy knitting pumpkin hats for Pumpkin Fest last weekend in Cooperstown.  This is the first year I've been knitting by myself. When Mom moved to Valley Health last winter she gave up knitting so it's been up to me to produce the baby hats...besides sweaters and socks.  She use to make 15-18 hats for September and October alone and sell most of them!  There were 6 pumpkin hats in the stock bag this spring when we opened for the season and they actually sold one a month.  This season every time I did a baby sweater set I did an extra hat for the bag.  Then for the 2 weeks before the festival all I did was hats:  at least 2 pumpkin hats every day! I went to the festival with 12 pumpkin hats...and 2 flower hats in my bag!  There are 6 pumpkin hats in the bag so I can restock my display when I go down to work this Sunday.  I need to do a couple flower hats and baseball hats before then!  Sweater sets have been selling well so I should finish the black sheep sweater I'm working on before I work the shop again.  I also have 3 pairs of self-striping socks on needles that I took to demo on at the festival. Should finish the pairs before then, too.

The garden has been producing zucchini and green beans but the green peppers haven't given up much. The tomatoes blighted and we were able to pick about half a dozen ripe ones.  The beets are the size of softballs in one raised bed and golf balls in the other. Jeff picked 2 cabbages yesterday...one softball size, the other tennis ball...but something's been eating the cabbage, so he pulled out most of those plants.  He dug up about 5 lbs of red potatoes and maybe 1-2 lbs of white potatoes.  We learned that red potatoes liked the tower method but white ones didn't.  The sweet potatoes are still growing so maybe we'll have a good crop of them and the carrot tops are tall and thick so there may be a good crop there,too.

The white Forester went to the body shop last week.  It should be ready for a new windshield in another week or so. It will be nice to have 2 cars...especially one with a trailer hitch!

Fanny's been getting into trouble lately.  Monday she took a bra off the pile of clean clothes I had left on my desk chair while I took a shower and chewed off one of the straps.  This morning she came into the tv room and laid by my feet and started chewing on something hard.  I looked down expecting to see a piece of firewood to discover she had destroyed the phone from my bedroom...I had left it on the bedside table when I got up.  I've been taking her with me when I go out...trying to cut her free time alone in the house but it doesn't seem to help.  Can't wait to see what she destroys next.  Will she outgrow this???

No comments: