Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!

Well, we made it to the new year.  The world didn't end on 12/22 and we didn't go over the fiscal cliff.  We did get hammered by winter storms and there's about 16" of snow on the ground.  At least it's not snowing today...yet.  Jeff's been busy cutting wood... he says I've been busy burning it... and I've kept the stacks up.  We have used less than 100 gals of fuel oil since Halloween!  We had to buy a new sawsall...his ol'Skil gave up...and we got a Bosch that he really likes so far.  And the old snowblower gave up after this past storm.  Since Wally from next door does the bulk of the snow removal, it's only used between the house & garage and for paths...but definitely needed... so we've got to start looking.  Funny, a shovel just doesn't make it anymore.

Josie is still up at Valley Health doing rehab.  She wants to come home but has to be able to get in/out of her chair and walk with the walker to the bathroom first.  She's complaining about VH...not enough aides, doesn't like the food, etc.  Today is her first evaluation.  As long as she shows improvement she can stay  and Medicare and her supplementary insurance will pay (for a total of 90 days). Keep your fingers crosses...and a little prayer wouldn't hurt, either.


I got my holiday sweaters orders finished and mailed on time and finished a pair of socks for Jeff on Christmas night. (L)  They're done in a hand-dyed superwash wool called 'Gone Fishing' that I had received in a swap  Thought it was a perfect yarn for Jeff but I still can't see what it's got to do with fishing.  Got a hole in my left index finger from poking it with a US 2 needle,too...ouch!  I took the time to knit myself a pair of socks(r top) (1st pair I've done for ME!) in a hand-painted wool  called 'Montana Moment' that I also got in a swap.  As I was putting the yarn away I found another sock (r bottom)...and the toe-up beginning of it's pair.  They looked short to me but it fit when Jeff tried it on, so the started-toe went back on the needles.  That yarn is from the Dollar Store in Richfield Springs.  It's a washable wool blend and a little thicker than most sock yarn.  Jeff thinks they'll be great in his winter boots.   I got the heel turned before I went to bed last night and so he'll be getting another pair of socks soon.  While we were snowed in last week I worked on a baby sweater order for Jeff's sister but ran out of yarn on the hat. Walmart promised to have it back in stock this week.  Hope so.  My next order is with a yummy cashmere blend sock yarn.  Can't wait to work on them!

No comments: