Friday, April 27, 2012

Back to Work...But Not Back to Normal

I went back to work today and let me tell you, things were not normal at all! I had never felt claustrophobic before but the office, Washburn Room, Children's Room etc are all stacked with boxes of books, magazines, DVD's etc with narrow hallways...almost tunnels...winding through them. I kept making jokes about needing baseball caps with bike flags on top so we could be tracked on our way through them! The floor between my desk and the staff mailboxes is full of boxes and if anyone was using the desk it was 'cozy' trying to get by. The library director was set-up in a corner of the storeroom behind the office with a pc but no phone. The only printer connected to the internet is in the Children's Room and the pc in the office is not connected to it. I was trying to catch up with the new book orders that have come in and I had a couple of ways I could do it. I could carry...in my arms coz all the carts are full of books...the books I wanted to label to the children's room or I could do the prep work right there and then email the labels to myself, go back to the children's room and open the email and print the labels. That sounded easier until I tried to print the labels I had created in Publisher and remembered that Publisher has to be the same version on both ends or it won't open and it's not. Then I went back to the office and tried to create them in Word...but I never like Word...never used it much, and that took twice as long but finally got them printed and all the books labeled and ready for inventory. Tomorrow I'm going to try to prep the dvd's and do my part of cleaning the library...defrosting the refrigerator. Next week we'll be actually putting books on the shelves. There are definitely going to be parts of my job I will not miss when I leave at the end of June.

Jeff & I have been searching on line for another dog (not a replacement for Dawg but new one). We've all decided we'd like another lab... not black this time, maybe a yellow lab, and we're surprised at how rare they are at shelters...and how much it costs to get a puppy. I saw online offers for lab puppies from $250-1500! One shelter offered a young lab-mix female, spayed, for $250 PLUS $50 postage or delivery cost. And everything from breeders to shelters required an application with written agreements on the treatment of the dog. One breeder even stated that only occasionally do they sell a pup as a family pet!! I guess we'll just take our time. Dawg was a prize dropped into our laps and while I don't think we'll be that lucky again, we're not in a hurry to find out.

I've been finally making headway on baby sweaters for the shop. I'm doing a size 9mos cardigan, raglan from the neckdown, in a Bernat's baby jacquard with a solid color for the ribbing (neck, cuffs, button strip down the front, and around the bottom) that I thought matched. Well, I've got the sleeves done and half-way to the bottom and I'm not so sure anymore. It's close but not as close as I'd like. Had some trouble with the self-patterning on the sleeves but finally got it done. I'll take some photos tomorrow and add them here X and let the reader decide.

Tonight should be a test of sorts for the greenhouse. It's suppose to be below freezing and the beans and peppers may not make it. Jeff has just about decided to make the greenhouse larger and put in a rocket stove if he does so this won't be a problem anymore. We're getting very serious about this garden.

No comments: