Saturday, August 13, 2016

Still Hazy, Hot and Humid

    It's still pretty uncomfortable here.  I just read an article that said this time of the year there's usually 1" of water in the atmosphere but this week it's been between 2 and 3".  That means a trip to Walmart is a vacation...until you come out and get back in your car.  And mine is black...inside and out...and boy, does it get hot!  It's even been uncomfortable sleeping.  The downpours cool things off for a little while but it doesn't last long.  That poor beetle that my mother use to call a 'zing a zinger' has been rubbing his leg together pretty steady all week!
    We've been restless around here, napping when we can and trying to do household chores when it's not too humid.  About 3am Fanny who was sleeping on the floor at that time, pushed against one of the legs of my bedside table...an antique oak plant stand...knocking one leg loose and sending the table over!  The lamp, phone, netbook...all went flying.  Oh, so did the dog who scared herself!  I just sat up in the bed yelling until Jeff turned on the overhead light and moved the table pieces.  He started handing me things from the floor until I reminded him that my glasses had been on the table too!  He found them...undamaged...under the armchair I had pulled into the room to watch TV.  This morning I got up around 6:45am and picked up the rest of the stuff then went back to bed only to be awaken around 9:30 by a piper in the cemetery.  He must have been practicing because he just did 'Amazing Grace' for the 3rd time,  this time playing it all the way thru.  He did a couple of other songs, too, but not all the way thru.  The trees are too full so I can't see if there is a funeral or just the piper and a funeral director practicing for one.  It was a different way to wake up.
    Sales in the shop have stayed pretty steady in this heat and it seems I've been lucky enough to sell a sweater every other day or so.  Of course, that means I have to replace them and frankly, I don't want to knit.  I'm scheduled to work in the shop once a week for the next 9 weeks so I have no excuse for not getting the sweaters down there...just for getting them made!  I'm about half-way finished with a size 1, pink-on-white flowers and lace cardigan.  I should finish that today. 
All it need is buttons and embroidery.
(Finished this morning, 8/14.  Now need a fast run to Walmart for yarn.  Hope they have some Red Heart Spruce.)  Then it has to be another Black Sheep cardigan, probably a size 2, in some shade of green.
  Can't forget to do a couple of hats...baseball, pumpkin, apple and flower... in between. 
   If it would just cool off a little at night I could knit and watch TV!

No comments: